Katja Schwarz, born 1966 in Munich als Katja Grobholz, after a year abroad in Great Britain and Italy studied Slavonic and English studies and philosophy. She spent six months in Russia and was able to gain first film experiences while making her own documentary film. She also worked as gallery manager at Kunstpavillon in Municht.
After graduating from Ludwig-Maximilians-University in Munich she worked as production assistant at megaherz tv GmbH until she joined Odeon Film AG in 1996. There she headed the press and PR department of the whole Odeon Film Group and served as online and IR manager. 2010 she took on the additional remit as sustainability advisor, to insure corporate social and environmental responsibility in film and TV production. This activity then was a novelty in film production and gained importance over the years, likely to become a standard.
Since 2013 she extended the Tolle Idee! network's offer and expertise in the new field of "Green Filmmaking", i.e. consulting, teaching and writing for production companies, institutions, festivals and filmmakers to promote the concept of sustainability in media production.
Among other events, she took part in the following activities:
- MasterClass and lectures at „Moscow School of New Movie productions" and "MovieBand" during the EcoCup Filmfestival 2018 in Moscow
- Giving th initial Workshop for ecological ways of movie productions at UFA in 2017
- Keynote „Can filmmaking be sustainable?" at Goethe-Institut in Los Angeles
- Sustainability Consultant for the „Green Shooting" of the MFG, the „Tatort"-Special „Five Minutes of Heaven"
- Networks „sustainable ways of movie productions" and „CrewTech"
- Learning audiodescription of films at SDI
- workshops of the „Green Pictures Group NRW", organised by Energieagentur.NRW und Thema1 for the first time in 2014
- workshop „Green Shooting for Documentaries" at NaturVision Filmfestival Ludwigsburg
- articles on sustainability in filmmaking at Odeon Film Group, e.g.
- „Filmemachen in Grün" (Green Filmmaking) in the journal of Film- und Medienstiftung NRW
- „Mean But Green": viral clips on climate change and sustainability at ifs - internationale filmschule köln
- Consulting Bavaria Film
- Introducing and developing sustainable filmmaking in the Odeon Film Group in 2010
Katja Schwarz is part-time working as PR Manager and Sustainability Consultant for CSMM - architecture matters.
She also works as translator from Russian, English and as web designer.